BUFFALO, N.Y.—With thousands still without power in Erie County, the American Red Cross has a place for residents to stay safe and warm.
Volunteers from the Western New York chapter are operating a shelter at Iroquois High School located at 2111 Girdle Road in Elma on Thursday night.
If you plan to stay in the shelter, Red Cross officials recommend that your bring items that are essential for each member of your family:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Extra clothing, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself
Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz tweeted the shelter will be open through 10 p.m. and may stay open later if people need it.