BUFFALO, N.Y. — Students and staff at West Hertel Academy were evacuated for a report of a gas leak, according to firefighters on scene who were communicating with dispatch.
The gas leak was not at the school, but the strong odor of gas could be smelled around the neighborhood.
Firefighters investigated and had the gas shut off at the building as a precaution. They ventilated the building before letting students back in.
The Buffalo Public School District says students were evacuated as a precaution while National Fuel work to repair the leak in the outside of the school.
The district says students and staff were all taken to Grabiarz School #79 National Fuel says it's safe to return to West Hertel Academy.