BUFFALO, N.Y. — Saturday night will be special for the Buffalo Sabres and their fans. The Sabres play the New Jersey Devils in their home opener. The Sabres are coming off a dominant performance in a 3-1 win over the Penguins in Pittsburgh Thursday night. The Devils played Friday night, blowing a 4-nothing lead against Winnipeg. The Jets roared back to beat the Devils 5-4 in a shootout.
Jack Hughes, the first overall pick in this summer's NHL entry draft made his regular season debut for the Devils Friday night. He did not register a point in the first game of his career that actually matters.
The game will be the home debut for new head coach Ralph Krueger.
While the game is certainly the main reason for the excitement the Sabres having 14 former team Captains take part in the pregame festivities.
The captains and Sabres alumni will walk the blue and gold carpet beginning at 5:30 p.m. at Alumni Plaza.
This is a list of the captains scheduled to attend:
- Floyd Smith (Captain: 1970-71)
- Gerry Meehan (Captain: 1971-72 - Oct. 1974)
- Don Luce (Captain: Jan. 1976)
- Danny Gare (Captain: 1977-78 - 1980-81)
- Gilbert Perreault (Captain: 1981-82 - Nov. 1986)
- Mike Foligno (Captain: Feb. 1989 - Dec. 1990)
- Michael Peca (Captain: 1997-98 - 1999-2000)
- Donald Audette (Captain: April 1998)
- Stu Barnes (Captain: 2001-02 - March 2003)
- Jochen Hecht (Captain: Oct. 2007, Feb. 2008)
- Toni Lydman (Captain: Nov. 2007)
- Brian Campbell (Captain: Dec. 2007)
- Craig Rivet (Captain: 2008-09 - 2010-11)
- Brian Gionta (Captain: 2014-15 - 2016-17)
The Sabres will not be holding morning skates on game day this season.
RELATED: Sabres open the season in Pittsburgh