COVINGTON COUNTY, Miss — A jail in Mississippi hopes a connection to a higher power may help a group of inmates get back on the right track.
The Covington County Correctional Facility is about an hour southeast of Jackson off US-49. Last week, 17 inmates were baptized behind bars.
Thirteen men and four women took part in the sacrament of initiation through a ministry provided at the facility.
"We hope this is a new start and will change the lives of these and many more," the Covington County Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post.
Deputies say the ministry has been "a blessing in many ways."
What other people are reading right now:
- CDC: Listeria outbreak reported in 3 states, kills 1 in Florida
- Joe Biden set to make campaign stop Thursday in Tampa
- Here's the full 2020 World Series schedule
- Ocala Police Chief Greg Graham dies in small plane crash
- Tropical Storm Zeta forecast to become a hurricane in the Gulf
- What you need to know about the 6 constitutional amendments on Florida ballots
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter