BUFFALO, N.Y. — The Buffalo Board of Education approved the district's reopening plan, but the cameras used for the School Zone Safety Program will not necessarily be ticketing motorists on Monday.
City of Buffalo Parking Commissioner Kevin Helfer announced Friday that the cameras will be reactivated, but motorists will not be ticketed for any violations until March 1 "to give drivers ample time to adjust to the speed limits."
Remote learning has dominated district plans during the COVID-19 pandemic, rendering the cameras dormant.
Those speed zone cameras being turned back on Monday include:
- Discovery School, 911 Abbott Road
- Dr. Blackman, PS 54, 2358 Main Street
- Grabiarz School/West Hertel, 489 Hertel Avenue
- Eve School, 453 Leroy Avenue
- Olmsted School, 319 Suffolk Street
- Houghton Academy, 1725 Clinton Street
- Hutch Tech/ Herman Badillo Bilingual Academy, 256 Elmwood Avenue and 315 Carolina Street
- Makowski School, 1095 Jefferson Avenue
- McKinley School, 1500 Elmwood Avenue
- Porter School/ DaVinci School, 255 Porter Avenue/320 Porter Avenue
- Bennett Park Montessori, 342 Clinton Street
- Performing Arts, 450 Masten Avenue
- Academy Middle, 425 South Park
- Lewis J. Bennett School, 2885 Main Street
- Harvey Austin School, 1405 Sycamore Street
"It is very important for motorists to be aware of their surroundings," Helfer said in a statement. "Students and faculty will be returning for in-person learning next week, so please help protect them by slowing down and driving safely near schools."
The cameras at five other schools have been active since October:
- Buffalo Promise Neighborhood Children’s Academy at 3149 Bailey Avenue from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Canisius High School at 1180 Delaware Avenue from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Nichols School at 1250 Amherst Street from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Notre Dame Academy at 1125 Abbott Road from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- St. Joseph University School at 3275 Main Street from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Westminster Community Charter School at 24 Westminster Avenue from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.