ALBANY, N.Y. - Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today appointed a workgroup to draft legislation for a regulated adult-use marijuana program for the legislature to consider in the upcoming session based on the findings of a multi-agency study he commissioned in January.
"The next steps must be taken thoughtfully and deliberately. As we work to implement the report's recommendations through legislation, we must thoroughly consider all aspects of a regulated marijuana program, including its impact on public health, criminal justice and State revenue, and mitigate any potential risks associated with it," said Governor Cuomo.
The workgroup will be overseen by Counsel to the Governor Alphonso David, who will work with members to provide them with information and support and coordinate among the Executive Branch and stakeholders.
The workgroup will consist of the following members:
• David Holtgrave, PhD, Dean, School of Public Health, University at Albany
• R. Lorraine Collins, PhD, Associate Dean for Research, University at Buffalo
• Jeff Reynolds, PhD, CEO, Family and Children's Association of Long Island
• Brendan Cox, former Albany Police Chief
• Angela H. Hawken, PhD, Professor of Public Policy, NYU Marron Institute of Urban Management
• Natasha Schüll, PhD, Associate Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication, NYU Steinhardt
• Tracie Gardner, Associate Director at the Legal Action Center
• Dr. Chinazo Cunningham, MS, Professor, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
• Counsel to the Governor Alphonso David
• Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker
• Budget Director Robert Mujica
• Chief Diversity Officer for New York State Lourdes Zapata
• Office of Mental Health Commissioner Dr. Ann Sullivan
• Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services Commissioner Arlene González-Sánchez
• Office of Children and Family Services Acting Commissioner Sheila Poole
• Department of Transportation Acting Commissioner Paul Karas
• New York State Police Superintendent George P. Beach II
• Acting Commissioner of Taxation and Finance Nonie Manion
• New York State Agriculture & Markets Commissioner Richard A. Ball
• Empire State Development Corporation Commissioner Howard Zemsky