BUFFALO, N.Y. — High temperatures are forecast for Thursday and Friday and the City of Buffalo is opening cooling centers to help residents stay cool.
Temperatures are expected to be in the high 80s on both days.
“We are about to experience some of the hottest weather conditions so far this season. With the forecasted temperature near 90 degrees, these conditions are often challenging for our senior citizens and children,” Mayor Brown stated. “It’s important for all of our residents to take the necessary precautions to stay cool and hydrated, and please keep an eye on your vulnerable neighbors.”
The following City of Buffalo cooling sites will be open as cooling centers on Thursday, June 1 and Friday, June 2.
- Arlene Mychajliw Community Center, 82 Harrison St., 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Asarese-Matters Community Center, 50 Rees St., 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Autumnwood Senior Center, 1800 Clinton St., 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Dorothy J. Collier Community Center, 118 E. Utica St., 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Hennepin Community Center, 24 Ludington, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- JFK Community Center, 114 Hickory St., 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Lincoln Fieldhouse, 10 Quincy St., 2:00 p.m. to10:00 p.m.
- Northwest Buffalo Community Center, 155 Lawn St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Peter Machnica Community Center, 1799 Clinton St., 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Richmond-Summer Senior Center, 337 Summer St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Schiller Park Senior Center, 2057 Genesee St., 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Seneca-Babcock Community Center, 1168 Seneca St., 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Tosh Collins Senior Center, 35 Cazenovia St., 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m.
- William-Emslie YMCA Senior Center, 585 William St., 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The city's 10 splash pads will also be open from 2 p.m.-7 p.m. until June 10. Once the school year ends, the splash pads will be open from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. through Labor Day.
Here’s the list of City of Buffalo Splash Pads that are open.
- Ralph Wilson Park - foot of Porter Ave.
- Allison Park - Reese St., adjacent to Asarese-Matters Community Center
- Masten Park - Best St., adjacent to Johnnie B. Wiley Sports Pavilion
- MLK Jr. Park Basin - Best St. and Fillmore Ave.
- Lanigan Park - South Park Ave., west of Louisiana St.
- Lincoln Park - foot of Quincy St.
- Cazenovia Park - behind the park casino
- Houghton Park - foot of Spahn St.
- Schiller Park - Sprenger St. side of the park
- Roosevelt Park - foot of Roosevelt Ave.
The city also has two indoor pools that are open, the Cazenovia- Connors, Kait, Harrity Memorial Pool, and Lovejoy pools are open for free and lap swimming Monday through Friday.