AKRON, N.Y. - Six years ago, 14-year-old Emily Adamczak was at soccer practice in Akron when she went into cardiac arrest and died.
After Emily's death, the Akron School District put a written policy in place, requiring CPR be taught to each student before graduation. Tuesday night, they received an award for that policy from the American Heart Association, for becoming the first CPR smart school in all of Western New York. Emily's mother Annette, who has been raising awareness about the importance of CPR training since her death, presented the school with the award.
"It lets me know that this town really truly cares about their students and their community, because now they're willing to forever train their kids in CPR, and what more could you ask for than to send a child out in the world so well prepared that they could actually save a life."
Emily's mother has trained over 17-thousand students in Hands-Only CPR in Western New York. She's currently pushing for a proposal that would require all New York State High School Seniors learn CPR before they graduate.