MCKEAN COUNTY, Pa. — A Pennsylvania man was found guilty of 251 counts of sex crimes against children, providing marijuana to juveniles, and other crimes.
Darvin Carpenter was convicted by a jury on Tuesday in McKean County Courthouse. He was found not guilty of 11 additional counts.
The McKean County District Attorney's Office says Carpenter was charged with committing crimes against seven minor victims between the years 2000 and 2022. The youngest victim was 5 years old.
The Pennsylvania State Police received the case after the mother of a juvenile female told her in 2022 that Carpenter touched her in a "bad spot." The mother reported it to the Childline Child Abuse Hotline, who referred the case to Children and Youth Services and law enforcement.
Investigators were able to identify six other victims through their investigation who reported numerous incidents of rape from the age of 5, forced oral sex on victims under the age of 13, unlawful touching of children under age 16, providing marijuana to juveniles, and numerous other crimes.
Six of the victims are now adults and testified against Carpenter. The DA's office says the victims described the acts committed by Carpenter over the past two decades at various locations in McKean County. Some of the crimes happened in his home, his vehicle, and even some of the victims' homes.
According to McKean County Disrtrict Attorney Stephanie Vettenburg-Shaffer, "some of the victims were related, or neighbors, or childhood friends, and they had told each other, and they had also told other adults in their life at times, but nothing ever came of it at that time."
Some of the victims say they saw Carpenter commit crimes against other children.
Carpenter was convicted of:
- 10 Counts of Rape Of A Child Under 13 (Felony 1)
- 10 Counts of Rape By Forcible Compulsion (Felony 1)
- 55 Counts of Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse (Felony 1)
- 6 Counts of Criminal Solicitation To Commit Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse On A Person Less Than 16 ( Felony 1)
- 3 Counts of Aggravated Indecent Assault (Felony 2)
- 20 Counts of Statutory Sexual Assault (Felony 2)
- 20 Counts of Sexual Assault (Felony 2)
- 112 Counts of Indecent Assault – (Felony 3, Misdemeanor 1 & Misdemeanor 2)
- 11 Counts of Distribution Of Small Amount Of Marijuana (Not For Sale) (Misdemeanor)
- 3 Counts of Corruption Of Minors, and 1 Count of Indecent Exposure (Misdemeanor 2).
Carpenter has been in jail since his arrest last July. His bail was increased to $1 million. He will undergo an assessment with the Sexual Offender Assessment Board. He will be sentenced at a later date.