(gogriffs.com)-Junior Rohn Pierce was selected in the 19th round of the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft by the Seattle Mariners. Pierce is the ninth player in program history, and fourth junior, to be taken in the MLB Draft.
The Golden Griffins have a junior pitcher selected in the program for the second consecutive year as Garrett Cortright was taken in the 40th round of the 2013 MLB Draft by the Baltimore Orioles. Canisius has seen eight players selected in the MLB Draft since 2009.
Pierce is the second player in program history to be taken by the Seattle Mariners, as Kevin Mailloux was taken in the 2009 MLB Draft.
A unanimous selection as the 2014 MAAC Pitcher of the Year and to the All-MAAC First Team, Pierce posted an 11-3 record with a 2.18 earned run average in 111.2 innings and 15 starts. The Lockport, N.Y. native is one of eight pitchers in the country with an ERA under 2.50, 110 innings pitched and 11 victories. A two-time MAAC Pitcher of the Week, Pierce earned Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week honors on Feb. 17, after throwing seven shutout innings in a 3-0 win over No. 5 NC State and No. 3 overall pick Carlos Rodon.
Pierce was named to the Capital One Academic All-America Third Team at the end of May. He also was named a semifinalist for the Gregg Olson Award, given to the breakout player of the year.
Canisius Draft Picks
• Rohn Pierce # - 2014 (Seattle Mariners, 19th round)
• Garrett Cortright # - 2013 (Baltimore Orioles, 40th round)
• Sean Jamieson - 2011 (Oakland Athletics, 17th round)
• Chris Cox - 2011 (Toronto Blue Jays, 39th round)
• Shane Davis - 2011 (Toronto Blue Jays, 42nd round)
• Steve McQuail # - 2010 (Toronto Blue jays, 30th round)
• Kevin Mahoney - 2009 (New York Yankees, 23rd round)
• Kevin Mailloux - 2009 (Seattle Mariners, 45th round)
• Joe Mamott # - 1994 (Boston Red Sox, 6th round)
# - selected as a junior