2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Darien, NY - Residents of a Genesee County apartment complex are safe following an early morning fire in Darien.

Six people were in the building when flames broke out shortly before 5 A.M. on Broadway Road. One of those residents was a volunteer firefighter who helped make sure his neighbors in the other five units got out ok.

"I knew right away from the smell that it was a real one, it wasn't just somebody burning something downstairs," said Joshua Reeb. " It was real. I checked my door and knew right away there was not way I could go through that door. Without even turnout gear, I knew the heat. Just from training, from working with these guys. And I knew I had to get out, had to get out now.

The Genesee County Sheriff's office says it's believed the fire started where the furnace going on ignited gasoline vapors in the garage.

It took over three hours for firefighters from Darien and surrounding agencies to get the blaze under control.

Two tenants suffered minor burns and were treated at the scene. The house is a total loss.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wgrz.com/1itrqu9