Seahawks lose draft pick, fined for excessive contact in offseason workout

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Seahawks will lose a 2017 draft pick for "excessive contact" during offseason workouts, the NFL and NFL Player's Association announced Monday.

The team has been fined $400,000, and head coach Pete Carroll has been fined $200,000.

An official statement was tweeted out by ESPN's Adam Schefter.

 

It says the fine stems from a workout on June 6, 2016, during the Seahawks Organized Team Activity (OTA) day.

"... players engaged in excessive on-field physical contact which is expressly prohibited in all offseason workouts under the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement."

The NFLPA considered a reduction in physical contact and number of offseason workouts a key concession in bargaining talks in 2011.

 

What the media are saying after Seahawks 9-3 loss to Rams

 

The league and union said it reviewed practice video from that day and determined the team violated the "no live-contact" rule.

The Seahawks will forfeit its 5th round draft pick in 2017 and will forfeit its first week (3 days) of OTAs next season. Players will still be paid for the OTA sessions.

The Seahawks previously were disciplined for excessive on-field physical contact during its 2014 mandatory minicamp. In that instance, they lost two days of their 2015 mandatory minicamp. The league announced no fine, but ESPN reported the team and Carroll were collectively fined $300,000.

The Seahawks also were fined and lost two days of voluntary practices for violating the contact rules in 2012.

USA TODAY's Tom Pelissero contributed to this report

%

%

Copyright 2016 KING


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories