LANCASTER, N.Y.-- A mother and her baby suffered second degree burns after a firework malfunction in Lancaster, according to the Lancaster Police Department.
Officials say a 38-year-old man was setting off fireworks on Westwood Road, when one of them malfunctioned and started shooting fireballs at a group of people watching nearby.
A 22-year-old mother and her six-month-old child suffered second degree burns. The mother was taken to Sisters Hospital and the baby to Women and Children's Hospital. Police say the baby girl suffered burns on 18% of her body.
Police confiscated the remaining fireworks and are filing charges in the incident against the homeowner, Eugene Lapress, 38. An earlier Facebook post created by Lancaster Police said the mother was also being charged. However, they have since edited that post and it does not list the mother being charged. 2 On Your Side contacted Lancaster Police to confirm the information on their Facebook page, and spoke to Captain William Karn. He says at this time, the mother is not being charged, but they are still investigating.
We are currently working to find out the current condition of both victims and will update this story when we get more information.
© 2017 WGRZ-TV