Unattended Cigarette Blamed For Blasdell Fire

BLASDELL, N.Y. -- Friday night, a home caught fire on South Park Avenue in Blasdell.

A resident of the home told us she, her mother and her son were in the multi-family home when it started on fire. She said she was surrounded by smoke but got out before she saw flames. Nobody was hurt or injured.

Investigators have confirmed that the fire was caused by an occupant's cigarette being left unattended.

"When we arrived, there was smoke and fire pouring out of this window," said Len Fusco, assistant chief of the Blasdell Fire Department, as he pointed to the lower level of the house. "And it was coming out pretty good. So it was going pretty good when we got here and it was coming out the one window. So there were flames showing."

The resident of the home told us the fire moved from downstairs to upstairs.

Multiple fire departments responded to the blaze. Witnesses told us the fire was put out around 5:30.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories