Graphic Testimony Heard in Darshawn Morris Trial

BUFFALO, NY - Testimony began Wednesday in the trial of a Buffalo man, who is accused of sexually abusing and then, murdering a teenager. The victim -- Lanasha Rollerson was just 13-years-old.

Police say last summer, Rollerson was brutally beaten and stabbed by Darshawn Morris after a house party.

In court, the jury heard from an 18-year-old girl, who says she was at a home on Hagen Street last September. Rollerson was at the same house and the witness said this was the last place anyone saw her.

The witness testified that Morris screamed at Rollerson -- telling her to get into the home -- which she did. That's when according to the witness, Rollerson could be heard crying and saying:

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I won't do it again."

It's unclear what she was referring to, but, the witness went onto to say that Morris began to fight Rollerson inside the apartment and that the scuffle lasted a few minutes and bottles could be heard hitting the floor. And then, all of a sudden there was silence, until Morris stuck his head out of a window and told people outside not to come in.

Moments later, the witness testified that Morris left the apartment and went to the backyard of his own home and could be seen dragging a mattress from the residence across the street to an abandoned home.

In September, police say Morris confessed to the murder.

"He did give a statement to detectives, implicating himself in confession," said Buffalo police commissioner Daniel Derenda.

The most graphic testimony came from Katherine Maloney, an Erie County medical examiner, who did Rollerson's autopsy. The examiner says that the 13-year-old was stabbed 62 times, had 11 cuts on her body and that someone tried to sever her arm.

The examiner also says there were chemical burns on Rollerson's body and that someone tried to lite her on fire with gasoline.

Buffalo police captain Carmen Menza described how investigators found the mattress -- which was allegedly used in the murder. No family members for either Rollerson or Morris wanted to speak Wednesday outside of court.

A few family members close to Rollerson left the courtroom very emotional -- especially when Rollerson's injuries were described.

Some members of Morris' family believe he didn't kill Rollerson and that police tampered with evidence in this case.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories