Toxic algae can harm dogs, officials warn

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - State parks and New York Sea Grant are getting the word out about algae that can make dogs sick.

The problem is harmful algal blooms, which poison water with toxins from blue-green algae. The toxins can disrupt liver and nervous system function and cause skin irritation in people, pets and wildlife.

Dogs are especially susceptible because they often drink from ponds and lakes and eat scummy algal mats with attractive odors.

Fact sheets and brochures are being provided at numerous state parks. The Department of Environmental Conservation posts notifications about algal blooms on its website .

© 2017 Associated Press


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment