Grand Island Fatal Fire Caused by Careless Smoking

6:09 PM, Apr 23, 2010   |    comments
  • Bedell Rd., Grand Island, NY
  • Bedell Rd., Grand Island, NY
  • Bedell Rd., Grand Island, NY
    
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

GRAND ISLAND, NY -The Erie County Sheriff's Department says careless smoking is to blame for a fatal fire Thursday night on Grand Island.

Firefighters furiously scrambled to put out a blaze in the Glenn Apartments off Bedell Road on Grand Island, but it wasn't enough to save the life of what many considered to be a sweet and kind lady.

As firefighters were fighting the fire, neighbors noticed the woman was not outside and notified crews.  The victim has been identified as 60-year-old Miriam Notaro. An autopsy showed she died from smoke inhilation.

While the apartment below suffered some water damage, the fire itself didn't spread to any adjoining apartments.

Neighboring tenants who did not want to appear on camera tell us the victim was a kind and gentle woman who lived in the apartment for about five years. Prior to that, she was an english teacher in Italy.

Most Watched Videos