The Western New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is pleased to announce that it has awarded five grants totaling $267,443.00 to programs providing breast cancer services in Western New York.
All of these grants address elements of unmet breast cancer needs in the community. The Komen Western New York Affiliate works with local health care professionals and community leaders to identify gaps in breast health in underserved communities. The community grants selected for funding this year aim to positively impact breast health and breast cancer in the most vulnerable communities of Komen WNY's eight county service area. The 2013-14 Komen Western New York Community Grantees are:
Erie County Department of Health
International Institute of Buffalo
The Research Foundation of State University of New York on behalf of University at Buffalo
Roswell Park Alliance Foundation
Komen Western New York is part of the affiliate network of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world'slargest and most progressive grassroots network fighting to end breast cancer forever. Since 2001, the Susan G. Komen Western New York Race for the Cure® has raised more than $3.5 million. Seventy five percent (75%) of that money stays right here in Western New York, funding programs that serve our local community. The remaining funds (25%) are invested in breast cancer research through the Komen National Research Grant program. Because of our excellent Western New York research facilities, for the past 6 years, more than 3 times that amount has come back to Western New York for cutting edge research programs. For more detailed information on the grants awarded, visit www.komenwy.org. Grantees will attended the Race for the Cure Kick-off Luncheon on April 18th.
The Susan G. Komen Western New York Race for the Cure® takes place on Saturday, June 8th at the Delaware Park Rose Garden. Registration is open on-line at www.komenwny.org. This year marks the 13th Anniversary of the WNY Race for the Cure.