Dogs Could Soon Be Allowed in Williamsville's Glen Park

12:53 AM, Feb 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. -- After a 36-year ban, local lawmakers are considering letting you walk your dog in Glen Park.

In response to some local discussion, Williamsville Village Trustee Christopher Duquin said the Glen Park Joint Board raised the question of whether or not the ban should be lifted.

Chair of the Glen Park Joint Board Peter Warren said the board has not yet taken a position on the issue. He said they plan on discussing it at their upcoming meeting on March 5.

The Village of Williamsville held a public hearing Monday night to let local residents share their opinions on the matter.

"We have a lot of residents in the village that own dogs," Duquin said. "It seems, based on the Facebook page, about 75 percent of people are for allowing dogs in the park, on a leash and making sure the owners clean up after themselves. That leaves about 25 percent that are against it. What we want to know tonight is whether or not that plays out when people come to the public hearing, and what they have to say about it."

Some arguments against lifting the ban included protecting the natural wildlife, keeping the park clean and preserving the area for photography.

Duquin says the village will deliberate on the hearing and make a decision at their next board meeting on March 11.

Most Watched Videos