CO Scare at UB Could Prompt Changes in College Dorms

8:42 AM, Feb 20, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Sunday night's carbon monoxide scare at UB's North Campus could prompt change in college dorms across the state.

Several students were sickened when CO leaked from a boiler in the Richmond Quad Housing Area.

University officials tell 2 On Your Side that hard-wired carbon monoxide detectors were not in the dormitories because they are not mandated by law. They do have several plug-in units near possible CO sources, such as boilers and laundry rooms.

Joseph Brennan, UB's Associate Vice President for University Communications, says that this incident is a call to action and they will begin installing integrated, hard-wired smoke, heat and CO detectors in all dormitory buildings in the next few weeks.

Now, several state lawmakers and Ken Hansen, who lost his daughter Amanda to CO Poisoning a few years ago, want to amend Amanda's Law to make the hard-wired detectors mandatory in all college dorm rooms in New York.

Most Watched Videos