PAVILION, NY - A father and his four children are safe tonight after heavy smoke and flames consumed their house Tuesday.
Firefighters responded to a call that came in at 10:10 a.m. at a residence on Route 20 near Asbury Road in Pavilion, near the Genesee and Livingston county border.
Fire Chief Paul Dougherty said the four children were on the first floor at the time and alerted their father, who was upstairs.
The father had the family exit the house through a second-story window on to the first floor porch roof. The father was then able to drop the children safely to the ground from the roof.
The children were not injured. The father was taken to an area hospital for evaluation of non-life-threatening injuries.
The fire gutted the house and is a total loss, Dougherty said. The house also was located in a rural area without a hydrant, so water had to be brought to the address. Nine other fire departments assisted.
Dougherty said the cause of the fire was an overturned kerosene space heater on the first floor of the house. The Red Cross was called in to help the family.
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle