Open Face Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chilies
- 8 (7 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- To make the salsa, stir the tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno pepper, 1 clove minced garlic, and salt to taste, together in a bowl until well blended. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place 1-teaspoon canola oil in a skillet, and heat over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook 1 minute until light brown. Mix in the black beans, chicken broth, and chilies; simmer until beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat, and keep warm.
- Place four tortillas on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the tortillas. Top with the remaining four tortillas. Cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Bake tortillas in preheated oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining 1-teaspoon canola oil in a skillet, and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet, and cook to desired firmness.
- To assemble burittos, place filled tortillas on four serving plates. Top each tortilla with black bean mixture, a layer of salsa, and an egg. Serve immediately.