Photo Credit - Drini (Pedro Sánchez)
Lockport, NY - A Niagara County woman is recovering from something you probably would not expect here in Western New York. She was stung by a scorpion.
The Niagara County Sheriff's Office tells us the woman who was stung is 23-years old and works at the Johnson-Rose Corporation in Lockport. They say she was stung on her right hand by the scorpion on Wednesday when she reached into a box here at the company which sells commercial cookware supplies according to it's web site. After she was stung authorities say she was able to kill the scorpion with another box.
She was taken to Eastern Niagara Hospital where she suffered an anaphylactic shock. No one at the hospital was allowed to talk about the her condition, but Jeffrey Eckdahl, the hospital's Director of Nursing Administration explained how a person is treated for this rare type of sting in Western New York.
"It's important to identify what kind of sting actually occurred. From there you an identify potentially what the reaction could be. Fortunately most scorpions are not deadly. In fact the sting from a scorpion is most like a bee sting. So we treat it accordingly," said Eckdahl.
He also tells us this is the first time he can recall anyone being stung by a wild scorpion coming into the hospital for treatment. He says in most cases scorpion stings involve people who buy these critters from exotic pet shops.
The Niagara County Sheriff's Office tell us the box was delivered from China back in April of last year. The woman is still in the hospital and is expected to be released soon.